Wednesday 31 January 2018

Landsend So-Simple Winter League, Round 3. 28-01-18

The 3rd round of this series came and went this past Sunday, my section of 9 were destined for the Match Lake (Lake 2) for the 6hr duration. The weather looked fair and relatively mild, I was thinking it may fish well. I should not really do that thinking stuff, I think it jinxes things somewhat......

Anyways, I arrived and had a chat with a couple of the guys before loading my trolley (I have sorted how to load it now..!!) before heading off to pay my pols and pick my peg.
Thanks to Andy Seery for providing us all with a tub of Gofters.
I was through in the Knock-Out thanks to a bye in the last round, but Steve Seager was my friendly opposition this round and thankfully he was in my section and drew a couple pegs away from me. I drew peg 16 (no pics, left phone at home....numpty), which is a bit vanilla, something and nothing, perhaps bang on average. Steve drew peg 20, which is a better peg and the area has been producing some bags of silvers including big perch, skimmers and a few tench.

For company I had Rod Wooton on peg 14 to my left and Martin Pettifer on peg 18 to my right.
A few rigs set up:
1st was a silvers rig, DT Floats F1/Silvers in 12 x no11 shot, for 7m in front using maggots and caster over a small helping of groundbait.
The 2nd rig using a DT Floats RBS Margin in 0.3g, this was for meat over a few maggots and meat both left and right at 7m each direction.
3rd rig was using a DT Pinger in 0.1g for fishing up the shelf, initially using 4mm pellets over micro, but I swapped to maggots after a couple hours. This would be dobbed around the far side at 14.5m.
I made up a margin rig for maggots over micros down to my left in a couple spots. A DT BIG D float was the pattern of choice, dotted right down.
Lastly I had a DT RBS Open Water float in 0.3g for around 13m in front using maggots over a few micros and maggots.

Well at the all-in I was just about to load my pole cup to put a bot of bait in a couple spots when I noticed Martin into a fish. Well I continued to sort my peg, pour a cup of tea and watched Martin play the fish, which was not hooked in the mouth, he took a shade over 20 minutes to get the leviathan into his landing net, it was hooked in a fin but a good 12lb+. Tidy start for him.

Now I would love to say how I spent the day picking up odd carp in amongst the big skimmers I was catching, but when does that happen?
It was actually really really hard going with everyone (except Rod) catching plippy roach, odd small skimmer and a handful of F1s (count as silvers). Steve Seager also had a golden tench, he also hooked a few decent perch which his neighbour, Gary O'Shea, also did, but Gary never lost his but landed them unlike Steve.

Me, well I had maybe 1.5lb of silvers after 4hrs, not a sign of a carp. But as we approached 90 minutes to go I managed a carp down to my left on maggot, a one off carp here as I never had another bite after I hooked a snag and had to pull for a break.
Elsewhere, Rod had 2 carp in 2 drops off the island with an hour to go, coupled with an early F1.
Tom Mangnall was over on peg 11 and despite his early slow start had began to net the odd carp and was doing alright.
Martin on peg 18 was just getting roach, more rapidly than me, he was fishing in the gap between the 2 islands.

I managed a 1.5lb skimmer with 30 minutes to go, but other than my roach and odd 1oz perch it was very hard for the 6hrs and to be fair most were happy when the all-out was called.

I packed up and followed the scales, but it was only peg 1, Martin Rayet (40lb) and Tom on peg 11 (31lb) had nets of note. Ade on peg 5 had just over 5lb of silvers and never weighed in any carp despite hooking a couple.
I managed 5lb of silvers plus my 2.5lb carp weighed a hefty 4lb 7oz so 9lb 7oz was my total.
This was a few ounces more than Rods 2 carp and single F1.
Martin's 1st drop foul hooked carp weighed 12lb 7oz plus he had 5lb 2oz of silvers for 3rd on the lake with 17-09.
Steve Seager had 7-02, which was a golden tench and a few F1s. Gary had a tidy 12-00 of silvers including some chunky perch, but no carp. Matt Williams on p24 DNW'd after 3 little silvers.

So I squeezed into section 5th and gained 5 silver's points, so not the best of days really, again one more carp would have boosted my points as would another 1.5lb skimmer. Ah well.
Tony has the full set of results on his blog, HERE.
As it stands I am mid-table in the overall standings and 3rd, I think in the silvers standings, plus I luckily got through in the Knock-Out.

Next Sunday I am at Sedges for a Silvers match, the first time I have fished there in ages and ages and am looking forward to it.

Until next time, take care.
Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment