Monday 22 May 2017

Summerhayes Open, Longs, 21-05-17

I wasn't planning on going anywhere on Sunday, but the weather looked dry and I had a last minute change of heart on Saturday afternoon.

So arriving at the lakes I found there was a few of the regular faces in attendance including Gabe Skarba and Glenn Bailey. The lakes didn't look too fishy to be fair, just the odd one showing themselves and a few looked like they were trying to spawn. A natter with a couple guys and then it was the 10am draw. Gabe's better half drew the golden peg, peg 10, which Gary Coton drew, she drew Gabe peg 4. I did mention I though he'd do well from there as the margins are nice on that peg.
Me, well I drew peg 33 on the road bank, I thought it was a good silvers peg but I wasn't sure that I wanted to fish for them as the weather seemed too bright and there were signs of skimmers still splashing down my left edge.

I had Ray Wickham to my right and to my left was Craig and further round John Barker. The only others I could see were Jamie Cook and Gary Coton over on pegs 12 and 10.
5 rigs made up today, all on 0.18 to 0.14 hooklengths and size 16 hooks.
1st rig was my left edge, bit too deep really and to be fair I never fancied to, it was a DT Big D in 0.3g, feed was meat and meat for the hook......never had a bite!!
2nd rig was using the same float patter etc and I fed maggots and fished bunches of them or meat. That was used down my left edge, again it was deep and I managed to fish it by pulling up the slope a little, the top of the slope was a shallow 6 to 8 inches deep.
Third rig was a rig for maggots over maggots at 2+2 to my left and expander over micro to the right at the same distance. Float was a DT Pencil in 0.4g in around 4.5ft of water.
The last 2 rigs were for across to the far bank in 2 spots, the 1st area was slightly to the right at 14m and the 2nd spot was at the same distance to my left on the corner of the bay, I did fancy 16m into the bay but the wind was an arse and I knew I would have struggled, should have chucked a method I suppose....hindsight!!
Anyways I had a DT Pellet Pinger in 0.1g for up to 18" deep (I started on a Skittle float but it got trashed early on by a foul-hooked carp). The last rig was an RBS Open water float in 0.3g, Both of these rigs were using 6 and 8mm pellets in a band.

Peg 33, Summerhayes Longs Lake
The all-in was called at 11am and I started across after feeding both 2+2 lines, but the following 60 minutes went without much action, a couple lost foul hooked fish on the deep rig across were lost and a couple small rudd came to maggots at 2+2. Nobody seemed to catching much, Ray on 31 had a couple skimmers and some bits but that was it really, I think Craig had one or 2 carp.
The second hour was a bit better, I stayed across to the reeds, it was hard-ish work in the right to left wind, but by swapping between the deep and shallow rigs using 8mm pellets in the band.
I found that by toss potting 6mm pellets on the deep rig and using a catty for the shallow rig, it wasn't manic fishing and I was still losing the odd foul hooked fish but I put a dozen of the lake's smaller carp in the keepnet, my clicker went from zero to 17lb in that hour.

The 3rd hour came and went with my only action coming from the 2+2 lines where I lost a couple skimmers and had a couple roach to 4oz. My far line (the right side one) had fish spawning and a couple of moorhens that were not bothered my pole tip being inches from them. I did lose a couple mad foul hookers that went steaming off to my right into a clump of reeds that looked like they could be a pain as the carp could get around them. I trashed on rig and got what I thought was a rig back in tact....It wasn't in tact as that rig snapped on the next carp I hooked at around 14:30.....ooopps.
Meanwhile Ray had a couple silvers including a lumpy perch but also managed a few carp by accident. I could also see peg 19 catching a few fish, not sure what they were though.
Craig on peg 36 was starting to get the odd one from both of his margins.

Into the last 90 minutes and my clicker showed 22lb and I was on 14 carp but was doing ok comparing myself to the 6 peeps I could see from my peg. But my carp were rather small and averaging less than 2lb each, they normally run on average nearer 3lb or so.
I started to feed the micros line with meat by hand as I had a few bubbles and the maggots and expanders were not producing.
A look to my right hand edge gave me a fish of 3lb right away but it was a false dawn as I never had another bite from there.
A look on my 2+2 micros, now meat, line again gave me hope as I had a 2.5lber on my first drop, again my only bite from there.
So the last spell of the match was spent up and down across to the reeds, I managed a few more on each rig, but the spawning fish were not helping matters, neither the wind. At the all out I had 22 carp and my clicker showed 36lb, so a small average as 22 fish should be nearer 60lb or maybe 70lb. Oh well.

Gear packed away and in the car and the weigh-in was underway, I saw Gabe put 25 carp and 7lb of silvers on the scales to have a likely winning weight of 91lb and a few ounces, he caught across on maggot over micro and a few edge fish on the same late on. A few lower weights and non-weighing anglers came and went before we had a 47lb net from Glenn Bailey down on peg 15, again that looked a framing place, I certainly never had that but thought Craig may be close to it, but he insisted he had about 35lb. A few silvers nets came and went before my 22 carp and 14oz of silvers gave me a total of 37lb 12oz with only Craig to register on the sheet. He had 3 weighs....2 of which were single carp still in the keepnet, but he totted up 35lb 2oz which saw me pick up 3rd overall.

It had fished really tricky for everyone and again a poxy windy match didn't help at all, but still it was sunny and warm.

Results:
1st, Gabe Skarba, peg 4, 91-04
2nd, Glenn Bailey, peg 15, 47-02
3rd, Lee Williams, peg 33, 37-12

Silvers:
1st, Roy Hughes, p19, 7-15
2nd, Gabe Skarba, p4, 7-05
3rd, John Barker, p38, 4-12

Weights
Acorn for me next Saturday in the 2nd round of the Series, not sure if I am anywhere on Sunday as we may head to White Acres or elsewhere for half-term. Hopefully the carpies will have spawned and even more hopefully they are settled and munching.

Until then, have fun.
Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment