Tuesday 14 February 2017

Avalon Teams of 3, Round 4. 12-02-17

A friggin' freezing day, north/north-easterly winds blowing down the lake making it uncomfortable for all. Had the wife with me for the duration, daft cow, she could have stayed home and done the housework!!! haha.

As a team we, 'The Over 50's', were languishing down in 7th spot after a couple of dire rounds and any realistic chances of a top-3 finish at the end of the series looked, well, unlikely at best. But we had a job to do and there is always money to add to out collection.

Eric done the draw, a decent one too, I was on peg 5, which is one of the better pegs on the lake. Eric was on peg 20, a good pick and Steve was on peg 37 which is average for the venue. I was glad to be away from the top end, in theory anyways, though I expected that end to be a better area generally speaking.

At my peg I found I had Lewis Jones on peg 4, Phil Clapp on peg 3 and Luke Pester on peg 7.
I set up a lead/feeder to try all different baits from bread to meat, pellet and maggot etc. 1 pole rig for 13m was set up, for a single line slightly off to my left fishing maggoty type baits over a little groundbait for some silvers.

Avalon peg 5.

At the all-in I deposited a couple balls of groundbait on the pole line, the began on the lead across.
An hour into the match and my section looked to be, except Nigel Garrett way up on peg 11, blanking. As I reached for my flask the inevitable occurred and my tip whacked round and a carp was attached, it didn't last long as the hook pulled out when the fish hit the surface by the island, I am not sure it was hooked in the mouth to be honest, but it gave me hope.

After 30 or so minutes I had my 1st carp, on pellet, only a small 2-3lb fish, but it was a start. Another half hour passed and number 2 was in the net, similar sized. The guys to my right, at this point (12:30pm or so), hadn't had a bite. But Luke was gathering a few skimmers and roach on the pole and I presumed he had more in silvers than my couple baby carp.
Mike West wandered up from peg 1, questioning his decision to fish....we all were to be fair, but moments after he left I had number 3 carp, again a small 3lber.
In between fishing the tip I had odd looks on the pole line in hope of a decent skimmer or 2, but I only managed a couple roach and a 6oz skimmer, it was too long between bites to stick at it.

The remainder of the match was spent on the tip rod and I remained biteless. I lost 4 sets of tackle during the match, probably to underwater reed stems, which is annoying, so lead and feeder shopping for me this week.
Unluckily for me Luke managed 2 decent carp in the last half hour when he chucked his bread out, so he'd over taken me. Nigel I expected to have done ok as I saw him net odd fish during the match. Lewis blanked and Phil had a 1oz roach. Mike had 1 small carp and a perch of 10oz. So it looked like I was 3rd in section, not so bad. But I didn't know what Tom Mangnall had, but when he came down he said 8lb....but he hadn't underestimated too much.

I packed up rapidly, loaded the car and followed most of the weigh in, it had been tough for all.
Mike had 4lb or so, Phil had an ounce, Lewis blanked, I had 12lb, Luke 16lb, Nigel 17lb and Tom had around 10lb I think. There were a few low weights else where, but Eric managed 2nd on the day (and section win) with 19lb 15oz with Tony Thick taking the honours from the same peg that won the last round. 25lb 13oz from p44 opposite me.
Steve managed decent section points and the days' top silvers with 12lb 5oz of skimmery type fish.
But although it was a challenging day, it lead to a tight match. That lost carp could have seen me win the section, or it may have been a carp of my usual 3lb stamp and wouldn't have made any difference.

The results were soon underway and it turned out I managed a section pick-up, Eric finished 2nd in the match and Steve won the silvers, so some dollar went into our funds.
Mosella Gold won the day, we were 2nd ahead of league leaders The Fu Fighters. But although we remain in 7th overall we have shrunk the gap to the teams above. So a win or 2nd on the last round, in April, could see us in a top 5 finish, not expecting that, but defo hoping so.

Results:
1st - Tony Thick, Mosella Gold. 25-13 from peg 44
2nd - Eric Fouracres, Over 50s. 19-15 from peg 20
3rd - Nigel Garrett, Mosella Gold. 17-09 from peg 11
4th - Shaun Kitteridge, Thyers. 16-14 from peg 35
5th - Ziggy, Somerset Carpenters. 16-08 from peg 30
6th - Luke Pester, Fu Fighters. 16-06 from peg 7


Silvers:
Steve Fouracres, Over 50s. 12-05 from peg 37

Teams On The Day:
1st, Mosella Gold = 27pts
2nd, Over 50s = 25
3rd, Fu Fighters = 24
4th, Somerset Carpenters = 20
5th, Mosella UK = 16pts weight  25-03
6th, Sedges = 16pts weight 19-06
7th, Thyers = 12
8th, Happy Hookers = 3

Overall Standings:
1st - Fu Fighters 33pts
2nd - Mosella Gold 30pts
3rd - Sedges 29pts
4th - Somerset Carpenters 27pts
5th - Thyers 26pts
6th - Mosella UK 25pts
7th - Over 50s 24pts
8th - Wickham Wanderers 9pts
9th - Happy Hookers 8pts
10th - Doddys 6pts

So not a nice day to be out, and I am still waiting for a carp over 4lb in the series, which is annoying, especially when you see 2 caught for over 15lb or 6 caught for 26lb etc. But that's fishing and we shall carry on. Otherwise it was a fair day generally speaking and the next round,weather improving, should be a different ball game as it is in mid-april.
Viaduct for me on Sunday with Pawlett, the weather looks warmer and settled so hopefully we shall see the fish well spread out.
Otherwise I have been out and caught plenty enough over at Apex. Matches have been midweekers at Sedges, which have been tricky at times, but it is winter, but enjoyable. Also a match up at Plantations saw not many fish caught by me, but another enjoyable day.

Until next time, stay warm.Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment