Saturday 3 December 2016

Avalon Silvers League. Final Round. 3-12-16

Covered for Dave Chidzoy today in the Avalon Silvers League that Vic Bush has run over the last couple of months or so. No chance of a league pick-up on behalf of Dave, well unless I caught 70lb of skimmers etc, not likely really!!

I got there in loads of time, plenty of chat happened, but it wasn't difficult to notice the cold north/north-easterly wind that was prevalent. So I was hoping for a draw on the right hand/road bank as the wind would be mostly off the anglers' backs and perhaps feeling a little warmer, plus it seems to be the most consistent area of late for the non-carp varieties that inhabit the lake.

Monies paid and draw done, I had the last peg in the bag and found myself up on peg 17, I don't think I have ever been on that peg, but it was in the area that Jason King had around 12lb last Sunday from. But the winning pegs can come from anywhere, just angler hunches that need proving good or bad, but I knew 12lb would likely be a top 4 weight given the weather we have encountered this last week or 2.....well unless the fish went on a monster feed-up anyway.
On arrival at my peg I found I had Paul Berry on peg 15 and the next angler was Pete Neate on peg 19, who didn't get to his peg way after the draw, I was thinking that I was going to get an end peg advantage....they are most welcome in the silvers matches on this venue.

My peg didn't look too appealing, other than the odd carp off a fallen tree at the end of an island, I only saw the odd plip roach and a couple skimmers, but they were all over the other side in and around peg 28-30 (not pegged).

Peg 17, Avalon.
I went about sorting my equipment for the day, pretty simple really in terms of bait and rigs.
Bait was 4mm expanders, micros, maggots and some casters. I also mixed up a little groundbait and had a few pinkies for the hook.
3 rigs were put together, an 0.6g NG decker with bulk and 2 droppers (0.10>18 b911f1) and two 0.3g of the same floats, one was for down each edge (Left = maggots. Right = casters on 0.10>16 b911f1) and one for fishing through the water on my lines in front (0.08>20 b511).
I fed 4 lines in front of me, two at 13m and two at 6m. The left hand directional lines would be for fishing mostly expanders over micros, the 13m right hand line was fed with groundbait and maggot.
The right hand 6m line was just loose fed casters and maggots.

At the all in I fed 2 smallish balls of groundbait and half a cup of micros on the appropriate 13m lines. The edges would be fed by hand, as would the 6m line for maggots/casters. The shorter micros line would be toss-pot fed only.
I wont mention the 4 shorter lines as I never had a bite from any of them, well never had any bite that resulted in fish.
So to cut the rest of the day short, I hooked and lost a carp 3rd drop in over the groundbaite but it was a matter of hoping a handful of 2lb+ skimmers (or crucians/tench/perch) would make an appearance to build a weight. It actually wasn't a bad day, I found by toss-potting feed over each line and fishing the opposite I could get a couple roach, or odd 3oz skimmer before swapping lines. Nothing hectic but occasional fish being put in the net was all that was needed. I did manage 3 skimmers of about 1lb-1.5lb, they came at 11am, 12pm and my final one was at 2:20pm, all 3 came over the micros line and fell to expander tipped with pinkie.

Elsewhere I spent most of the day watching Pete on peg 19 put a fish in the net pretty much every drop, he had big skimmers, a crucian of 2lb and a big perch in his net and by the end of the match I thought he had around 13lb, I did wind a few up by reckoning on him having 20lb+.
Paul Berry was struggling, as was a lot of people, only the odd skimmer, perch and a few roach were getting caught, but I heard that Rich Coles on peg 34 was looking though he would win the match, John Fuidge on peg 39 had a pike (also he reminded me that he had 17lb+ on Sunday, not the 16lb+ I blogged!!) but he was getting a few fish, as was Vic Bush who was getting fish regularly on the waggler.

At the all-out I thought I probably had 5 to 6lb and had done just about ok.
I packed up my gear, quickly, and followed the weigh-in. First to weigh was Tony Rixon, end peg 5, he had a couple decent skimmers in his 10lb 1oz total, then we saw several anglers put between 2 and 6lb until we got to me. My 3 skimmers and other assortments pulled the needle on the scales to 8lb 3oz which was 2nd at that point. Pete on peg 19 had 13lb 11oz.
The road bank weighed, Rich Coles weighed first with 16lb 5oz of nice skimmers, then we saw a few weights up to 5lb, but Vic had 9lb 1oz and then the other notable was end peg, John Fuidge whom had 8lb 15oz. So I had come 6th and by default collected my section monies.

Results:
1st Rich Coles - 16-05, peg 34
2nd Pete Neate - 13-11, peg 19...
3rd Tony Rixon - 10-01, peg 5
4th Vic Bush - 9-01, peg 37
5th John Fuidge - 8-15, peg 39
6th Lee Williams - 8-03, peg 17


In the series overall Vic won ahead of John Fuidge, Chris Fox and Ken Rayner.

So a tricky, but fair day and I quite enjoyed it and glad to put some money back in my wallet for a change. I figured a few things out and it was nice to fish again with light laccy and light lines
Tomorrow is the last round of the Shiplate Teams of 3, realistically we don't have an overall placing to fish for, but section, lake and silvers monies are on the agenda for myself, Tom and Titch. Main Lake for me. Fingers crossed.

Until then, have fun.
Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment