Saturday 15 October 2016

Bolingey, White Acres' Residents Match, 14-10-16

A match on Bolingey finished my week off nicely, not a venue I have really been, so in reality another new venue. Around 40 or so fishing, maybe a few more, so the pegging would be tight for sure.

I woke to a pretty hard frost and the tops of the caravans were white and I had to scrape the ice off the windscreens, a bright sunny day with a slight easterly breeze was the prediction. I reckoned that it'd be tricky to get a big week and that 120lb would win.
I drove the 20 minutes to the lakes and there was a whole bunch of anglers there, the keepnets (x2 each) and landing nets were all nice set out for us, bonus.
I had a natter with a couple guys, some of whom fish venues local to me, some had good week, most had not so good weeks.

Trolley loaded and queued for my peg of dreams, going from what I know about the lakes, pegs 7, 10, 11, 27, 29 and 38 appealed.
Into the hat about halfway along and I drew peg 13, I was not too happy, summed up my week, it is set in a corner with no island chuck, very tight to the fence behind to make shipping the pole kind of tricky to say the least. Peg 11 and peg 14 were in so not massive amounts of room but you never know maybe the fishies would be sat in the corner waiting to be caught.

I went about sorting the kit and bait for the day, a small method feeder for an awkward cast to the end bank, this went unused.
A topkit rig for corn over corn, it was 7ft deep there.
A rig for 5m and 13m down to my right where it was a couple feet deep, I did hope the munters would move in later on.......but they remained fishless.
A depth pellet rig (9ft or so deep) was coupled by a shallow/slapping rig both at 13m in front.
Lastly a worm and caster rig for 13m off in the 2 o'clock direction.

Peg 13 at Bolingey
Starting at 12pm, I went straight in on the topkit and around 10 minutes passed and 3 or 4 fish had been caught down to my left when I had a bite and found me playing a decent fish. Safely netted, the 8lb mirror had managed to tangle me in someone's lost topkit, sadly it didn't fit my pole. Someone will be pleased.
I stayed on this line for another 10 minutes before I fed the two long pole lines.

Out on the worm line and I soon had some roach averaging around 6oz each, nice fish to catch, but not getting enough to help me along.
Half an hour without a sign of a carp in my peg and switched to the pellet line as I had seen the odd bit of fizzing.
15 minutes here and only a few liners saw me switch to the shallow rig, 1st slap and it was fish on. A spirited scrap saw another 8lb fish join it's buddy in the net.
An hour or so blanking came and the lad on peg 14 had a nice 15lb fish from his edge, but the wasn't catching much. Further along to my left I could see fish getting caught pretty regular as were pegs 8 and 11.
Looking left from p13, Bolingey

My left edge, Bolingey peg 13
So we were now at the halfway stage and it wasn't exactly busy fishing, but I was soon into another fish on the shallow rig, another fish around the 8lb mark, it certainly gave me a battle as it was a ghostie, I would have thought it was double the size it was.
20 minutes later I was connected to a lump that took an age to get in but was worth it at about 14lb, my clicker was showing 42lb.
An hour an a half to go and I had 2 quick fish from the deep pellet rig, only 4lb carp but they were welcomed. I also lost a couple foul hookers so it was back shallow and I was playing a fish after a couple minutes.
When I was playing this fish I could see a few boils and colouring up down to my left and decided that would be my next drop in. It was also at this point that a guy from down to my left decided to wander up to get another keepnet. The margin fish left my swim and other than 1 foul hooked carp I never had a bite for the last hour. So my clicker showed 52lb, plus the few roach. So guessed on 54lb total.
Peg 11 had been catching well in the last 90 minutes and the lad to my left had 3 or 4 late fish on his short line using worm over pellet. Generally though it hadn't been a prolific day for most.

I packed up my gear and waited for the scales, when they arrived there was a 80lb weight and 93lb from peg 11, other than that I could see some 20lb and 30lb nets plus a couple low 50's.
I tipped my fish into the bucket, then took one out as it went over 55lb, but my 2 weighs together gave me 55lb 2oz. My clicking was accurate enough.
Peg 14's late 3 or 4 fished boosted him to 56lb.

I didn't follow the scales as I went and loaded my car, I knew I hadn't picked up any money as they were paying top 4 and 4 sections. So I headed back to the caravan having enjoyed the day.
The match was won by young James Allen with 129lb from end peg 50, mostly on pellet and corn at 15m or so.

So to sum up my week, of the 3 matches on the mini-fest I managed the best weight off my pegs in 7 out of the 9 weights, with Jenny's peg 14 only pipping me with the guy having 2 real lumps on day 2 but the peg was nowhere on day 3 either with 3lb the final days' net.
Peg 33 on Twin Oaks saw a 37lb net on the 2nd day also for nowhere and 7lb on the 1st day for last in section.
My Pollawyn weight was decent with 8oz and 10lb the two other weights from peg 45.
So to me it shows I didn't have the draws needed on the whole. But I feel I fished quite well all week and have learned loads and am looking forward to getting down there a few more times.

Next up for me is Shiplate tomorrow.
Take care peeps.
Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment