Sunday 18 September 2016

Pawlett Match. Viaduct Campbell and Cary. 18/9/16

29 of us were spread across the 2 lakes today, all expectant of some serious bagging. With weights of over 300lb coming off Cary yesterday and several circa 200lb from Campbell, I was somewhat less expectant of such high weights, but even when the venue has an off day 100lb+ nets aren't uncommon.

With the weather set fair and no rain forecast, little in the way of wind I wouldn't have predicted which pegs would be favoured, but personally I wanted to be on Cary as I don't tend to get on there too much. So after paying my dues and loading the trolley, a bit of a natter and it was on to the draw.
Well as usual I waited until the end of the queue and with only 3 pegs left, all on Campbell, I managed peg 114. A good peg but hasn't really featured in the top weights in the last couple of months but fingers crossed that things could change eh?

Peg 114, Viaduct Campbell.
I go to the peg and began to sort the kit out.
Lead rod - check.
Left margin rig - check.
2+2 meat rig - check.
Pellet rigs for shallow and at depth at 14.5m - check.

Bait was 8mm meat, 6 and 8mm pellets, hemp and a handful of leftover corn from yesterday and lastly some paste.
For company I had Steve Fouracre on peg 115 and would be tricky to beat, on peg 112 would be another decent angler in Phil Clapp. Eric Fouracre was on in-form peg 128.

At the all-in I cupped some hemp and meat at that line, fired a few 6mm pellets to 14.5m and began on the lead, 10 minutes passed and I had my 1st fish, a 7lb mad fighting mirror. A smaller 3lb sample followed a short while after. But it wasn't hectic for anyone in the 1st hour, well peg 129 was getting amongst the carp on the lead and the pole.
The 1st hour ended with just a couple carp for me, 2 for peg 115. Eric on 128 had a handful, but only 1 carp was caught in the 1st hour from 123 down to 127.

The second hour was just as slow, I got bored on the lead, no surprise there, so it was out with the depth rig at 14.5m and I was getting a few liners, so back out with the shallow rig and after a bit of feeding and slapping I had another fish, one of around 12lb, a 4lber followed shortly after and I was expecting things to look up......but as we know expectation and reality are far from the same.
All the while I had been feeding my meat line and I was getting a few swirls and some fizzing on that spot, but I kept on the long line both shallow and deep.
The third hour was well under way when I had a run of 6 skimmers and a tench on the meat line, all in the space of 20 minutes, I also had a big common of perhaps 14lb. I was contemplating setting up a silvers rig, but didn't.

Now at the halfway stage I decided to start feeding a few bits and bobs down to my left, about halfway to empty peg 113, but I hoped it'd come good later on.

Left margin of p114 at Campbell.
Elsewhere peg 112, Phil Clapp was getting a good few on the lead and some down his right edge, Pierce on p123 had put another net in and Eric on 128 was consistent in adding fish to his nets as was Jason King on 127, he was getting big fish too.
Steve on peg 115 had slowed right down, made a silvers rig and promptly caught 2 carp on it!!

I pretty much stayed on the meat line for the majority of the match, I did have a couple 2lb carp from the left edge and one of maybe 8lb, but bites weren't easy to come by, maybe I should have used some groundbait? I couldn't get any fish on the long pole despite silly amounts of fizzing.

I had a run of carp in the 5th hour on the meat line, relatively speaking, maybe 5 fish, but it still wasn't hectic.
So as we entered the last hour I hoped for a good spell, really I needed 60lb+ to have a remote chance of a pick up...........It never happened on all the lines, I think I only had 1 carp of 4lb in the last 60 minutes, all the while I was watching Steve on 115 get a lump a chuck down both of his edges to move well clear of my weight and Phil on 112 was still getting some lead fish. Generally things were spasmodic and it looked like 120lb would be a good weight and 140lb+ would be close to the top weights of all those I could see. I couldn't see 116 to 119 and 110.

As the all out sounded I finished on 15 carp, though I probably had 3 for 7lb. My clickers showed 52lb and 34lb, so my carp maybe went 80lb and possibly had 15lb of silvers.
Cary Lake had switched on for the last 90 minutes as Mark Sweeting behind me on 77 had his 1st carp at well after 2pm and ended up with 85lb, 6 carp I think.

I packed my kit away and loaded the car. Back to the weigh in, by the time the scales had got to peg 118, Colin Haggett, it was Eric leading with 150lb and 51lb was winning the silvers, Pierce who was on peg 123.
Colin struggled to around 30lb before we say Steve Fouracre's late run of edge fish shot him up to 144lb. Next was me, 24lb+ of silvers and 88lb+ of carp (clickers worked..!!) gave me a shade over 113lb and at that point 4th on the lake.
I followed the scales and saw Phil's 120lb estimate weigh 122lb before peg 111 had 50-something.
Keith Clapp on peg 110 had admitted to 180lb earlier when I loaded my car.
He lifted his 1st net and it looked tight on the 70lb limit, he'd clicked 58lb. It went 75lb....so 70lb then, not a great start for him. His 2nd net, clicked 60-ish, took two weighs just to lose the whole net as is totalled 84lb...even less great for him.
Still he had 1 net to go, again 2 weighs and the same result, 82lb.....net lost. So he finished on a well knocked back 70lb from what could/should have been 240lb-ish and a comfy win.
He also broke his pole today and borrowed one from Ian on peg 111.

A quick chat with Jamie Parkhouse (p86)revealed that he had won Cary after getting 85lb in the last half hour, he had 146lb 7oz and Jamie Cook had 116lb-ish as the next best on there from peg 90.


Weigh Sheets

Results:
1st - Eric Fouracre, 150lb 2oz. Campbell p128
2nd - Jamie Parkhouse, 146lb 7oz. Cary p86
3rd - Steve Fouracre, 144lb. Campbell p115
4th - Phil Clapp, 125lb 6oz. Campbell p112

Silvers
1st - Pierce Furlong, 51lb 5oz. Campbell p123
2nd - John Fuidge, 28lb 1oz. Cary p98
3rd - Lee Williams, 24lb 14oz. Campbell p114

So an okay day if not a little slow by the fishery standards, perhaps I should have fished for silvers once I started to get the skimmers, I had 20lb in maybe 30 minutes and I am sure I could have put another 30lb+ of them in the net had I re-jigged my approach, maybe not...... But hey-ho.

Not sure where to fish this week.....But have Shiplate around 5 or 6 weekends on the bounce (except 1 when I am at White Acres) starting next Sunday on Hawthorn lake.

Until then, Take Care.
Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment