Sunday 3 May 2015

PSV Match, Viaduct Cary. 03-05-15.

20 of fished today, so a full house, which is a good turn-out really, but Viaduct is one of the best fisheries in the country so I suppose that's to be expected.

I arrived in plenty of time and sorted my kit out, chatted to a few guys and generally do as anglers do and put the world to rights and moan!!
My whinge was that UKMail hadn't delivered my pole section, so late yesterday I put my 20 year old Maver pole in the holdall along with both top kits. With the weather due to be iffy and changeable I didn't expect to fish the pole much unless I drew 74, 80, 81, 90, or the end peg in use on the causeway bank. I did fancy pegs 80/81/85/86/90/94 to 99.
At the draw I waited until 3 tickets were left, I managed to find peg 79 in my hand. Not a great peg with 78 and Saturday's 200lb+ winning peg, 80, in. But better than a couple I could have had.
Peg 79 is the only peg in today with no feature in it, so my luck would have to be in to do better than the 9 others in my 10 peg section.
On peg 80 I had (my predicted match winner) Chris Szacaks and on 78 was regular silvers winner, Lee Waller, I reckoned on him winning that money today also.
I would have set my stall out for silvers today, but my 2 tops consisted of 16 elastic and the pole I was using wasn't really long enough at 13m. So it was carp or bust today.
Mr Lee Waller, confused by the sight of a lead rod!!

Mr Chris Szakacs in Peg 80

 
I set up 2 lead rods, a lighter one with a 16 hook and 0.16 hooklength and a heavier one with a 12 and 0.22 hooklength. The heavier one with a quickstop for 11mm pellets or 12mm punched meat. The lighter version for just 8mm banded pellet.
A waggler set at 3ft was made up for chucking over the lead 'area' as these fish like to come off the bottom with regular feed.
I also set up 2 pole rigs, 1 with a band for pellet at 13m and the other for meat at 6m. Neither produced anything other that a couple pricked carp, probably foul hooked.

My 'running line' area was between the taller reflections in front at 30yrds: Peg 79 on Cary
I began on the lead and had to wait an age for a fish, in fact it was nearly 2 hours before my 1st carp was netted. A 3lb fish, a baby, was plopped into the keepnet.
In this 2hrs leading up to my 1st fish Chris on peg 80 had 4 or so carp and Lee Waller had struggled too, even for his silvers.
Elsewhere it looked like the guys opposite had been getting regular action, but Matty Taynton on peg 74 was struggling along with a couple guys on the pegs in the high 80's pegs.
I persevered and after a bit of work I managed to catch a couple carp shallow on the waggler, the fish seemed to be cruising around in the flat spots on the surface. Tempting them was hard work.

So other than a couple forays on the pole lines I stuck to the lead and by the end of the match I was a fair bit behind Chris, he'd had a few on the pole to the spit and a good amount on the lead. His fish were the usual Cary stamp of fish, most of mine were smaller.....story of my week really.
I did manager 2 lumps that weighed nearly 27lb between them, both of these came to punched meat rather than pellet, but I ended up with 12 or 13 carp, my clickers showing 47lb and 24lb, plus a couple 'bonus' skimmers were landed. So perhaps 70lb would be my net.
Lee Waller had been busy catching some nice perch from under the tree to his right, he struggled in open water.
All the anglers on the causeway bank had done ok, no massive hauls that we see a lot of from Cary.
I also heard that Ron Hardiman had a few from 81 and Pete Uzzell on 86 must have 90lb+.

I packed my kit away and soon enough Steve Long had arrived with me, Matt Taynton had 20lb+, Steve Burgess had 40-something and then Lee Waller put 20lb of silvers on the board.
My 2 weighs of carp, coupled with 4lb of silvers put my total at 77lb 11oz.
Chris Szakacs looked to have sealed the win with 123lb 8oz, I had the same number of carp as him!!
Ron put 81lb-ish on the scales before they continued on around the lake.

By the time I had loaded the car I was told that Uzz on peg 86 had 99lb and Alan Healey had not as many carp as Chris but they were weighty fish and he'd got 106lb+. Will Dearlove was the 2nd best weight along that bank with ounces over 80lb.
Steve Sewell had put 17lb or so of chopped worm caught silvers and was 2nd best silvers on the day, he was on peg 103.

Results:
1st Chris Szakacs, 123lb 8oz - peg 80 (bomb/pellet and pole fished meat to the spit)
2nd Alan Healey, 106lb 1oz - peg 97 (bomb/pellet mostly)
3rd Pete Uzzell, 99lb 11oz - peg 86 (bomb/pellet)
4th Ron Hardiman, 82lb 1oz - peg 81
5th Will Dearlove, 80lb 3oz - peg 96
6th Lee Williams, 77lb 11oz - peg 79

Silvers
1st Lee Waller, 20lb 1oz - peg 78 (worm over caster)
2nd Steve Sewell, 17lb 5oz - peg 103 (chopped worm)

Weigh Sheet
So it was a tricky day and it was patchy for most, a couple carp would get caught then a wait for any more indications.

Next up for me is a match at Landsend next Sunday.

Until next time, Take care.

Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment