Tuesday 19 May 2015

PSV Match, Sedges Fishery, Brick and Tile lakes. 17-05-15

Sunday's gambit was a PSV v Carpenters affair at the excellent Sedges Fishery, with both lakes books and 31 in attendance it would be a good match. 17 from PSV and 14 from Carpenters.

I arrived with loads of time before the 9am draw, which was being done by Will. I said a few hellos and chatted to a few guys before I grabbed a cuppa from Denise and Jamie gave me a run down of the last 2 evening matches held. He wasn't fishing today with the Pawlett anglers at Landsend as his daughter got married on Saturday, so congrats to the happy couple.

Back to the draw, now anyone who reads this blog or knows me will know that I prefer Brick lake to Tile. It was no surprise that I did say I fancied Brick lake, pegs 10, 11, 3 or 20 would be my choices, but to be fair I'd be happy with any of the 20.
Tile lake's pegs of choice would be 21, 40, 39, 25, 26 and 32 or 33. I didn't fancy 28, 30 or 38 really, with 30 being my last choice of all 40 pegs, especially with the wind pushing down to the car park end (pegs 21 and 40 would be brill).
I plucked my ball towards the end of the queue and found myself in a corner peg.........the wrong corner peg, peg 30..!!
Steve Burgess was jammy enough to get peg 10........a true flyer.

None the less I got my kit to the flat calm peg and could see plenty of carp sunbathing away from the wind, but thought that these would do the off after a while.
As I set my kit up they duly vanished from sight, by the 10:30 all-in was shouted they'd all but gone.

Sedges Tile, peg 30.
I set up a pellet wag rod for fishing towards the tree on the end bank.
3 rigs for the pole were assembled, a slapping/stalking rig, a meat rig for 5m in front over caster and a rig for meat over pellet against the end bank at 13 and 14.5m, this rig would also do for topkit distance tight in against my margins where the groundbait would be fed.
Bait was 6mm pellets, 8mm pellets, groundbait and 8mm meat. I also had some caster and maggot plus a pint of micro.

At the all in I spent 10 minutes trying to mug a few fish but this was unproductive as was the shallow pole fishing, the lack of ripple in my peg was definitely a negative.
I switched to the waggler and hooked 3 fish in the following half an hour landing a 8lb fish and one a touch bigger at about 12lb, the 3rd fish I lost after 5 minutes of playing it, it was a decent common that looked over 15lb, it looked hooked in the shoulder. I wasn't too down hearted as it seemed productive.

2 hours later I hadn't had another carp, only adding a skimmer of 1.5lb to my net, this came from the pole by the end bank.
Elsewhere it was said that Mr Burgess was doing well on peg 10, but so was peg 8. On Tile lake I could see that Mark Radford and Rich Jones were having one or 2 shallow on the pole (they were halfway up the other bank). In fact other than peg 31 opposite me it seemed that I was well behind.

At this point I hooked a mad tench of about 3lb and also had 2 roach, all on meat by the end bank. But minnow sized roach/rudd were a pain on meat and they weren't big enough to warrant catching.
I decided that perhaps the semi-spawning silvers would feed so I made up my 2 trustly Sedges silvers rigs and baited 2 new spots, one with a few casters and a little groundbait, the other with micros and a few 6mm pellets. I had the grand total of zero bites, even on single maggot!!

The next couple hours saw me fishless from both silvers and carp, the fish definitely had followed the wind, this was easy to see as all the pegs to my right an across from me (barring p31) were catching well enough on and off during the day.

The last hour came and went with me actually landing 2 carp on the waggler, only small 2 to 3lb fish. I finished with maybe 26lb of carp and 5lb of silvers.

I packed away sharpish and went and watched the weigh in on my lake, I also loaded to trolley with the nets as I did, saved Jamie doing it later on after we had gone.
Peg 21 and 22 or 23 had 63 and 69lb, then there was a 29lb net, a couple 40's I think and a 55lb. I managed just over 35lb I think, I cant remember, but I wasn't last in my section and around mid-way on the lake. The causeway bank had better weights as a rule, or at least it seemed that way.
My 5lb-odd of silvers was winning the lake silvers until Mark Radford plopped 10lb on the scales, thus meaning he'd take that envelope.
Brick lake fished better, but somehow peg 3 and peg 11 dnw'd with p11 blanking...!!
Steve Burgess was pipped by Matt Taynton for the win on the day!! But pegs 7, 8, 9 and 10 were obviously fish-filled as they took 4 of the top 6 weights.

Results:
1. Matt Taynton (8) 135-2
2. Steve Burgess (10) 115-14
3. Chris Woolley (9) 91-4..
4. Lionel Legge (20) 79-0
5. P Foxhall (13) 71-15
6. M Bush (7) 70-6
7. Keith Ray (22) 69-13
8. Phil Groves (1) 68-2
9. Paul Swain (21) 63-2
10. Mark Radford (36) 62-6
11. Ryan Radford (24) 58-11
12. Chris Szakacs (27) 55-4
13. Lee Waller (40) 50-4


Silvers:
1. Colin Butler (5) 22-7
2. Colin Ferris (4) 13-6
3. Mark Radford (36) 10-0

The inter-club result was decided by the overall top 10 weights from each club
1. Psv 656lbs 2oz
2. Carpenters 582lbs 2oz

So a frustrating day, I think that if I had a ripple for most of the match I may have had a few more fish, or at least the skimmers may have appeared if not the carp.

Not sure where I am this coming bank holiday weekend, Sunday I have no plans but I may be sorting a small knock up on Monday if anyone is interested, but obviously it has to be where keepnets are allowed or supplied (sedges, trinity or bullocks...?) if not then I may well head to Acorn on Monday.

Until then, Tight Lines.
Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment