Tuesday 24 March 2015

PSV Match, Sedges Tile Lake, 22/03/15

We had 17 or so originally booked in but ended up with 9, mostly due to Bristol City's trip to Wembley (which they won the Paintable Cup or something).

Anyways back to the match and after the usual faffing and chatting we managed to get down to the draw. The pegs used were 21, 23, 26, 28, 31, 33, 35, 38 and 40. I fancied one of the 3 corners or maybe 36 or 26.  But to be honest I would have been happy not to fish as my wrist/arm wasn't better.
I plucked peg 28, not the worst peg in the world and one I have had several times and not ever done any good in general.
For company I had Matt Taynton on peg 26, he'd been fishing the venue plenty over the winter and is a very good angler, no doubt he'd mostly be fishing a pellet feeder and then a waggler, mostly with banded 6mm pellets I would guess.

Sedges Tile Lake peg 28


With me still having a problem with my tendonitis I never had any intention of fishing for silvers as it'd involve too much shipping a pole back and forth. I am not sure that I could do that.
So I basically set up a method feeder and a waggler, plus a couple of top kits for the pole (1 for 5 sections in front and another for down towards the empty peg 29), these areas never gave me a fish on my usual meat tactics so no more on them.

I began on the feeder and it took ages to get a positive pull, that was a 6oz skimmer. Not much followed so I tried the waggler, this gave me another 6oz skimmers.
That's how my match went, in fact I had all of 12 bites over the 6 hours on meat or pellets, I didn't use maggots as there were loads of fry around. I ended up with a solitary carp and 6 or 7 small skimmers to 1lb.

During the match I did manage to watch the Liverpool v Man Utd match on my phone, which in all ways was the highlight of my day to be honest. Poor old Stevie G.  Hahahahaha.

Across the lake, over the course of the match I saw Ron Hardiman start off well on the corner peg 31 (fishing to the corner of the island and then down along the end bank), his catch rate slowed as the day went on, Julian Nurse on p33 kept plugging away for the silvers of all sizes. Steve Burgess (on the waggler? then later the pole down the edge) and Alan Healey picked up fish throughout the day (lead and wag) including an 18lb lump by the out-going match secretary Steve.
On my bank it was Matt Taynton who'd done well, mostly catching on his usual waggler set-up fishing 3/4 of the way to the island fishing 6mm hard pellet. By the end of the match he'd be close to winning I guessed.

So after 6hrs it was the all out, which I was glad of really. I had agreed to pay 2 quid to Steve Burgess before the match when the results were confirmed.
I was quick enough to pack up and even went round to Steve to get the board and began the weigh in.
That began with Lee Waller amassing 25lb or so, Derek dnw'd, Matt had 55lb-ish and I had 12lb or so. Ron Hardiman had just over 51lb then Julian Nurse's silvers weighed 18lb 13oz, Mr Healey had 64lb and apparently he admitted to well below that!! lastly was Steve, he had 58lb 4oz. John Bradford dnw'd from peg 40.

Results:
1st Alan Healey, 64-09 peg 35
2nd Steve Burgess, 58-04 peg 38
3rd Matt Taynton, 55-12 peg 26
4th Ron Hardiman, 51-11 peg 31
5th Lee Waller, 25-00 peg 21
6th Julian Nurse, 24-04 peg 33
7th Lee Williams, 12-07 peg 28
2x DNW

Silvers
1st Julian Nurse, 18-13
2nd Lee Waller,  10-12

Weigh Sheet
So all in all I wasn't best pleased with how it went for me, but that was mostly caused by lack of enthusiasm and 'faulty' right arm!! If I could have fished properly for the silvers then maybe I would have done better, but I didn't fancy hurting my arm any more than needed!

Next up is a match on Campbell Lake at Viaduct, but that lake is still peggy with the carp still reasonably shoaled in the usual winter areas in front of 115 and 116, plus the opposite pegs. Lets hope they have spread about a bit now it seems that the frosts have disappeared.

Until next time, take care.
Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment