Sunday 11 January 2015

Sedges Tile Lake, PSV Match, 11-01-15

15 of us fished today at the ever consistent Tile lake on the Sedges complex.
The weather was due to be rather windy with a possible shower here and there. On arrival though the wind wasn't too bad, the pegs along the road bank were pretty well sheltered with the odd blustery spell affecting the presentation. It wasn't too cold though and a few fish were topping all over the lakes.

Before the draw I hoped for a corner peg (except peg 30) or perhaps peg 25. Otherwise I wasn't too bothered. In the end I picked the 3rd or 4th last ticket and again peg 27 was staring back at me, not too bothered by this and thought I would spend the day on the waggler with meat, obviously this wouldn't be my only option.

Arriving at my peg I set about sorting my kit out, to my right I had Lee Waller, whom no doubt would be targeting silvers I presumed, on my left I had Chris Gay.
Further along, on the golden peg, up in the corner on peg 30 was Will Dearlove, the other corners were taken by Adam Caswell in peg 31, Keith Ray was in flyer 21 and Chris Szakacs  was in the peg that won the week previous, Peg 40.

Again........Peg 27 on Tile Lake, Sedges Fishery

Once I had wetted my micros and added the 1st batch of water to my groundbait I began to assemble my kit.
I set up a waggler to fish around 30m in front, a comfortable range for feeding and casting. A methd feeder was put together to chuck in the vicinity of the island of which I had half.
For the pole I set up a silvers rig for around 11m in front, a heavier rig that would cover the same spot and would do for my 2+2 line at a slight angle to my left.

For bait I had micros for the feeder, plus the usual baits for the band. Some dead and live maggots for feeding on the 2+2 line and lastly I had a tin of meat cubed into 6mm pieces. This bait would be for the waggler and for on the hook at 2+2.

After sorting my kit out and having a cuppa the all in was called at 10:15am.
I potted 3 balls of groundbait on the long pole line with a few maggots. A cup of dead maggots and a few pieces of meat were deposited on the 2+2 line. Lastly I fired some meat around my waggler line before chucking out the feeder and having another cuppa.

The first couple of hours was quiet for myself and Chris and we both only had a carp and a small skimmer apiece. His fish came on the pellet feeder, mine on the method. Further along to my right was Matt Taynton, he was catching a few on the waggler with banded 6mm as bait. Otherwise not much activity was occurring across the lake.

Around 12 o'clock I took a look on the long pole line using the heavier rig as there was a few bubbles coming up, Lee on peg 26 was also catching a few small fish, so I had hoped the better fish had gathered on my fed spot. 1st drop in saw my float sail under and a small skimmer was swung in, another followed and then I switched to the light rig, this gave me a couple roach before I re-fed and went out onto the waggler. 1st chuck I had a bite and was connected to a small carp.
A quiet 15 minutes passed before a skimmer graced my net, a small carp soon followed before I hooked a fish that I couldn't stop. It was hooked somewhere other than the mouth as I reeled in a decent sized scale. Another 10 minutes of boredom on the feeder was had before I was back on the waggler.

It was soon 1:30 and Chris was getting a few on the tip, varying between the pellet feeder and lead/bread combo. The only others I could see catching were Matt and Rich Briton across from me on around peg 36. Will Dearlove on peg 30 had 4 nice carp in the net.
Back on the waggler and I struck into a foul hooked fish, pulling out of the carp quickly. I rebaited and cast my bait out again, this time I had another carp on, but I managed to lose the fish, my float and everything else......bugger.
I re-assembled the waggler, but it didn't feel the same. I persevered on and managed to catch a few more carp, as did Chris, and we were close enough on fish numbers, though I reckoned he was around 7lb ahead of me at this point.
Lee was happily plundering a few roach and small skimmers on his pole. Adam Caswell had been bank walking as he wasn't catching over on peg 31.

At 2:15 I put a few bits of meat and some maggots on my 2+2 line as I would try it at about 2:45pm in the hope of 2 good sized fish. 
Chris by now was getting quite a few fish on the lead/bread tactic, but I was still managing to nick the odd carp on the waggler. Not many others were catching from what we could see, though we figured that Matt Taynton had done well, we could not see how Chris Szakacs on p40 was doing, but we kept on picking up the odd carp. They seemed to be moving between me and Chris as I'd catch one or 2 then he would and vice versa.

At 2:45pm I was on around 9 or 10 small carp, probably 30 to 35lb, Chris maybe had 40lb or so.
I took a look on the short line on the pole at this point and had a bite right away, this was a skimmer of 6oz or so. Next drop saw me connect to my biggest carp of the match at that point when a 6lber was netted, with the all out at 3:15pm  I knew there was time for another. After 5 mins without any indication I went back on the waggler after I fed a few maggots on the short pole line. Another small carp on the waggler before another 5 minutes without a bite saw me back on the 2+2 line with 5 minutes left of the match.

My last drop of the day on the pole coincided with Chris netting his last carp before he went down his margin where there seemed to be a few fish present. I had a bite with a minute of the match left and I was connected to a lumpy fish which seemed to waddle off in the direction of peg 31 before wadlling back, the all out was called but I carried on playing this fish. 5 minutes passed before I got the fish, which seemed foul hooked, near the surface, it looked a very decent fish of at least 12 or 13lb.
A few more minutes passed and it was getting tired and had come to the surface a couple times, it looked like it was hooked in the pectoral fin, it waddled off again before the hook popped out........bugger. I knew that would cost me, but me being me, wasn't too bothered especially as it was hooked in the wrong place.

As I began to pack up most guys had already loaded their kit onto their trollies or even into their cars. I commented to Chris that he'd probably pipped me by a few pounds, but would be close. He suggested that I was ahead of him as his quiet spells lasted longer than mine.......only the scales would settle that. I finished packing up and rescued a catapult from in my margin by my nets as I'd managed to drop a couple in the water today, 1 went into the silvers keepnet, the other into the lake by my feet.

I wandered over to peg 21 where we'd start weighing in, I'd been nominated to do the honours and firstly we began with Keith Ray, he put 18lb on the scales. Matt Taynton's nets amassed a total of 57lb 4oz, most caught on waggler. But before him Steve Burgess troubled me with 2lb 14oz of quality roach and skimmers.
Alan Healey took a quid off Steve with 13lb+. Next up was Lee Waller's silvers, 4lb dead was the call.
Lee took the scales from me as I was next in line, my silvers went a whopping 2lb 6oz followed up by 46lb 14oz of carp. That lost carp had cost me, but then everyone loses fish, Chris had too lost fish during the day, so had I.
I continued with the scales and put Chris' weights on the scales, 3lb of silvers was complemented with 44lb 6oz. This meant I had just stayed ahead of him, but would that lost double cost me further still? 
Will never weighed in, Adam (p31) and Ryan (p32) didn't amass much, but Ryan's dad Mark Radford on peg 33 did have some lumpy carp and his nets gave him 38lb 14oz.
The guest we had fishing (Keith) on peg 35 put 9lb on the board before Rich Britton on peg 37 gave Matt's weigh a run for the money but fell shy with 51lb 1oz of carp. He moved ahead of me into 2nd spot. Lionel Legge on peg 38 put 12lb or so on the scale before we arrived at peg 40 only to find Chris Szakacs dnw'd..!!

Sedge's Tile, PSV, 11-01-15
So I had managed 3rd spot, which I am happy with, but that lost foul hooked fish at the end cost me the win, but the fish get lost throughout the match.
Matt fished tidily on the waggler to take the win, so well done him.
It didn't fish brilliant, but everyone had a few bites, which is good during the winter.
I enjoyed the day again, fishing the waggler is one of my favourite forms of fishing.

Next up for me is a match down at Landsend with Pawlett.

Until next time, Take Care.

Lee.

No comments:

Post a Comment