Monday 14 July 2014

PSV Match, Sedges Brick Lake, 13/07/14

This weekend's foray saw myself and a dozen other 'men' heading towards the Sedges Fishery in Bridgwater, for what was expected to be a good match with decent weights.
Pay outs would be top 3 and top two silvers.

As usual I arrived in plenty of time for the 9am draw and the lovely Denise provided me with a nice cup of tea, now she is like me in the use of tea spoons, so please bear in mind when you are there that 1 spoon is to tip your sugar in the mug, another is used to stir the drink - separate spoons!!
Anyways, Sedges were also holding one of their 'top-two' series of matches on Tile lake, where the anglers are only allowed to use the topkit of their pole only, no other sections allowed, it's very popular and with catches to 160lb+ and fish to 20lb+, it is fun. There were a good few anglers present all enjoying the craic.

Back to PSV's match, most of the guys fancied the usual pegs, 9,10, 11, 12 and maybe 20 for the carp weights, pegs 3, 5, 7, 14 and 15 for the silvers. Personally I hoped for 9 or 10, and given I haven't even been on these 2 pegs, I knew that was very slim.
Adam Caswell usually nets a corner in these matches as it gives him dry land to snag up on, and true to form he drew peg 1 and only ended up hooking the end bank no less than 3 times.....
Steve Burgess never drew a corner so that made a change for him, but Chris Szakacs (p11), Darren North (10) and Mark Radford (20) were lucky enough with the balls they chose.
Me, well I picked peg 14, so silvers were my main target should I not get carp within the 1st hour.

Sedges Brick, Peg 14
For company I had Lionel Legge on peg 15 and on peg 12 was Ryan Radford.
Arriving at my peg the first thing I noted was the stiff breeze push across at me and slightly right to left, so any kind of distance for the pole may be a struggle and feeding with the catapult would be tricky, especially the 8mm pellets for the wag/lead line.

I never had worm/caster with me due to my pure laziness of buying any, it is a great bait on these lakes.
My baits I did have were 6 and 8mm pellets, some 8mm meat and some expanders for the hook. I also mixed up a kilo of sonu crushed expander/sensas lake/sonu method mix in a 40/40/20 per cent mix, this was well wetted and riddled twice to create a lovey fluffy mix. I did have some 10 day old maggots which remained pretty much unused as I think I would have been 'bitted out'.

Rigs were:
NG Decker in 0.6g , 0.14>0.10>B911f1 size 16. Elastic was solid 6. To be fished at 13m slightly right over groundbait for skimmers.
NG Power Pencil, 0.4g, 0.20>0.16>B911 size 16 with a band on a hair. Laccy was solid 14/16. Fished at 13m to my left a bit with an 8mm pellet in the band over 6's and 8's fed mostly with the catapult.
NG Power Pencil, 0.3g, 0.20>0.18>B911 size 14. Laccy 14/16 again. 2+2 line with meat over meat.
NG Margin 0.2g, 0.20>0.16>B911 size 16 again with a band and 14/16 elastic. Shallow 13m line over the pellets, but remained unused.
NG Margin 0.2g, 0.20>0.18>B911 14 for use with meat tight in close, but remain pretty much unused.
I also set up a waggler and a lead for just short of the central rope. Both for 8mm pellets in a band.

Anyways after an hour I was ready, which was good as the all in was at 10am (well 10:10am).
I cupped in 2 lightly squeezed balls of gb on that line, a decent cup of mostly 6's on that line and a small amount of meat on the 2+2 line, which I would top up every 20 mins with 8 cubes of meat.
I began on the waggler, which was tricky in the wind, but I stuck at it for 20 minutes without a bite, and those I could see hadn't had a fish either. Switching to the lead gave me a skimmer of 12oz first chuck, but this was a false dawn. I spent the next 40 minutes fishless rotating the lead and waggler.
By the end of the initial 60 minutes a few carp had been caught including Brian Shanks on peg 9 and Adam on peg 1.

The 2nd hour saw me switch to the groundbait line and my tactics would be mostly to get some silvers, this proved fruitful and I began picking up the odd skimmer and roach. But it wasn't prolific, well not as prolific as Chris Davis on peg 3, he seemed to be catching at around 5m, but had calmer water and could feed accurately by hand. The 2+2 line was hopefully going to be my banker later on in the day.
As we headed into the 3rd hour I kept trying the lead/waggler but without success so I left them alone for the rest of the day. The pole line at 13m was really tricky to fish in the wind, but gave me odd skimmers. By now I had around 10lb of silvers in the net, which seemed ok. I had to keep switching between my pellet line and groundbait lines to keep fish coming, with the 8mm banded pellet being slightly better. It seemed like I had to keep feed going in on the pellet line, yet the groundbait needed leaving once cupped in, but would give me a longer run of slightly smaller fish on 6mm expanders or 8mm meat.

Looking around as the clock came to 2pm led me to believe Brian Shanks (p9) was well clear, he'd had plenty of carp on the wag and odd one on the pole. Adam had a few carp. I also heard pegs 20 and 11 were catching too. Over the other side Chris Davis was bagging away on silvers and I guess he had around 40lb thus far, plus a few rogue carp. The others were catching odd skimmer and carp.
This hour also saw me land a couple carp on the light set up, these did take a while to net though, especially the bigger of the 2 which was around 10lb.
I also gave the 2+2 line a try which gave up a 2lb tench and a 1lb skimmer, but that was my action from that line for the match.

The last couple of hours flew by with me netting a few more skimmers and roach by switching between the 2 longer lines, but presentation was hard as was holding 13m of carbon.
Lionel, next to me, was picking up odd skimmer and had a carp, but I could see elastic regularly being stretched further down to my left, which I had hoped would be carp as I was hoping to snatch 2nd silvers money, Chris Davis was bagging 3 fish to every one of mine so he was well clear in the silvers.

The all out sounded at ten past five and we all began to pack away, I had a couple carp and I thought just over 20lb of silvers.
Lionel packed away and tipped back, I figured Brian must have 100lb as he was on his 3rd net. Chris Davis looked like he had a comfortable 50lb of silvers plus some carp. That was really all I noted really. But everyone seemed to say the carp came on well in the last hour, which rung true for most. I'd just tried to keep putting skimmers in the net.

I wandered down the lake, just in time to meet Adam, who'd decided to be his usual keen self and wanted to start the weighing, he said he'd had 9 carp but lost 13 lumps (re-occurrence of weekly tale).
So first to weigh was Chris Szakacs on peg 11, his total was 93lb 13oz. Ryan was next with 33lb and then came me, my 2 carp gave me 14lb 5oz, added this to my under-estimated 40lb exactly of silvers gave me 54lb 5oz.
Steve Burgess weighed in next, I expected to give him a quid for a change, but it turned out he'd caught a few carp and totalled 50lb 4oz included in this was 15lb of silvers.
Ron Hardiman put 20lb 10oz of silvers on the weigh sheet from peg 18 before Mark Radford's 85lb 9oz moved him into 2nd spot form corner peg 20.
Peg 1, Adam Caswell, weighted around 60lb of fish.
Peg 3 saw Chris Davis pull out a great net of silvers, 2 weighs of these produced 67lb 7oz while his 52lb+ of carp pushed his total to 119lb 9oz.
As we shuffled along the bank we had 28lb to Mike Welling and 64lb+ to Alan Healey, then was Brian Shanks on peg 9. We knew he'd done 100lb, he said just under, but we were not surprised to see his weighs amass 118lb 7oz, just pipped by Chris Davis for the win.
Lastly saw Darren North put 36lb 3oz on the scales.

I soon made my way back to my kit and loaded the car before the winnings were presented.

Results:
1st, Chris Davis, p3, 119lb 9oz
2nd, Brian Shanks, p9, 118lb 7oz
3rd, Chris Szakacs, p 11, 93lb 13oz

Silvers 1st, Chris Davis, 67lb 7oz, p3.
Silvers 2nd, Lee Williams, 40lb, p14.
Silvers 3rd, Ron Hardiman, 20lb 10z, p18.

Weigh Sheet

So I picked up the Silvers winnings by default, putting some more money in the holiday pot. Plus my quid from Mr Burgess, which goes into my car-park fees pot.
It was an enjoyable match, if not spoilt a bit by the wind and the fish taking a while to get their heads down. Chris' net of silvers was brilliant, he caught on 8mm meat over 8mm meat at 5m for most of the day.
I wish I could have caught on the same line from my peg, but feeding by hand was difficult with the wind. But I am pleased enough with 40lb of silvers and in a way I am glad I didn't hook many carp, landed 2 from 3 I actually hooked, the 3rd fell off at the net as it was hooked in the pec and looked 3lb or so.

Next up for me is a match down at Avalon with Clevedon next Sunday, which could be good, I do hope to get the better of the carp this time around and will take my stronger waggler set-up this time round. Plus I have put my 3.5m whip in my holdall.

Until next time, take care.
Lee

P.S. Sedges' top-two match on Tile Lake was won by Vic Bush with over 160lb with plenty of back up weights, he fished mostly worm and paste. Tile lake is currently on fire at the moment with various match records going almost on a weekly basis,

No comments:

Post a Comment