Saturday 5 April 2014

White Acres Part 3...Porth Res.

Wednesday was the day I was looking forward to....as long as the weather stayed semi sensible.
The draw saw me pull peg 37, it was mid way in the section on Tuesday. 4lb or so was caught from it. But the peg lends itself to using a platform out in the water.
I made the pain of a walk and arrived at my swim a bit sweaty and knackered.

Peg 37, Porth Reservoir

After a five minute rest I set about sorting the tackle.
The platform assembled and box and trays etc sorted.  Groundbait was mixed so I set up 2 feeder rods and three pole rigs.
Bait was simple maggots, hemp, caster and worm. 
One feeder was for around 60 turns and another for 25 turns.
The two pole rigs were for use at 14.5m in 8ft of water and at 6m in 4ft. Neither were used other than a couple quick look now and then. Neither produced a bite.
 
I started on the long feeder line with half a dendra on the hook.  Fish first chuck,  bargain.  It was a skimmer around 2lb, sadly a pike took a liking to it and the fish was gone. Another Hook length attached and the rest of the first hour gave me a few ounce roach and a 4oz skimmer.
 
Meanwhile next to me on my left, the angler had been using the waggler and had plenty of bites from small roach.  I hadn't even set one up,  I had said all week that I was gonna fish the waggler. Numpty.
Another twenty mins saw the lad catch a few more fish. I was off the box and my waggler rod sorted.
First cast at 25 turns saw a little fish in the net,  several more followed.  After a few fish the bites slowed so I started firing wet balls of groundbait at the float to keep the fish in the swim.
This coupled with trying shallower and deeper kept odd fish coming,  but myself and the lad next to me were missing a good few bites.
 
I kept at this until the 3rd hour when I had a quick look on the feeder over the waggler line gave me a roach.  The long feeder and pole lines not a bite.
So I stayed on the wag, catching the odd 4oz fish, unlike my neighbour who had five decent 1lb+ skimmers in five casts,  putting him well clear.
 
The all out sounded and I thought I had 5lb which would be good. I guessed peg 36 had 13 to 14lb which may win the lake. The scales arrived and top weight on the far bank was around 11lb. The anglers to my right weighed between 2 and 4lb.
My 8lb 5oz was nice,  but the guy next to me had near 13lb. The next two had 2 to 3lb and then Keiron Rich had 4lb+.
 
I proceeded to pack up and make the long hike back,  which was bloomin hard work. It turned out there was a 10lb weight from the end peg on my bank (different section).
It turned out I came second in section and joint 4th on the lake and 8 points to my tally,  so my first festival envelope.
 
I had a great day fishing, doing something I enjoy and am capable at.
Thursday sees me at Bolingey...

No comments:

Post a Comment