Sunday 30 June 2013

Landsend Match Lake - PSV - 30/6/13

Today was the chance to try and catch something at Landsend, my last couple matches on here have been kind of pants, but there is a good head of carp and a great head of silvers/greens/goldens aswell.

I was tagging along with PSV, courtesy of Mr Burgess, maybe he thought I would be pools fodder? More likely than maybe I guess.
Anyways, I made the short drive over, arriving a good half hour before the draw, so I unloaded the car, dipped the nets and had a chat with a couple of the members.
Now for all that Steve writes on his blog about the blokes who fish their matches, I can honestly say they all seem sound, friendly and good for a laugh.

Into the draw bag goes 14 numbers, the wind was pushing down from the far end and slightly across, meaning pegs 1-6 were the windiest, but Landsend always seems to be windy. It wasn't too strong, as there are a good few trees breaking it up. But it was due to get stronger.
I had the first peg as I was a guest and the golden pegs couldn't be mine.
I pulled peg 1, a peg I have never fished, even years back when it first opened. I was on scales duty too!! Now I really dislike corner pegs, they always seem to be hit or miss on every venue, more miss when I get them.

My rigs/bait would be simple today.
A margin rig for the end bank at 13m with 8mm meat over meat/6mm pellet. 0.2 NG Margin, 0.20>0.16>B911 size 14.
A shallow rig for mugging and a feeding 13m line towards the island with banded 8mm. 0.2g Preston pea type float, 0.20>0.16>16 B911. 13m was a struggle in the wind really, but I wanted to get towards the island.
2 rigs for silvers at 6m, 0.4g NG Decker, 0.16>0.14>size 16 B911. 1 with a band, 1 without. Otherwise identical, but for 10am direction (micro's line) and 2pm direction (6mm meat line).

I want ready for the all-in, as I really struggle on small pallets and long pole fishing, I cant seem to get sorted with the rollers, side trays and pole rig roost. So I spent the first 5 mins plumbing up. The water level was well down so rig lengths had to be amended too.

By the time I had potted my baits into the various swims and fired some 6mm towards my 13m line peg 3 (I think) was into a fish as were a few others. I started on the shallow rig hoping for a cruiser or 2, but they were not really up in the water properly, except under the tree on the end bank, out of range, and they stayed there all day. Just sucking stuff off the surface without reason to venture out.

After an hour I had tried all my lines without a bite, neither had peg 23 or 21. Will on p23 was trying the pellet wag towards the island, something I may have done if I had bought rods, and the trees above were trimmed, but neither were in my favour. There were fish getting caught elsewhere on the lake, they sounded carpy rather than silvers. So perhaps I should go for them?
I came onto the micro line with banded 6mm pellet and had a response, 2 skimmers in as many chucks, bargain. The 3rd never came!! Onto the 6mm meat line, nothing. Not a sniff.
I even tried soft pellet and maggots, but only had 2 rudd on these baits.
I did manage to mug a single ghost carp of 5lb or so on the 13m line.

With 3hrs gone I had maybe 3lb of silvers, 1 carp and not many other bites. I had managed a 8oz perch on my margin line with meat on the hook.
The next hour was sort of productive, the wind had got up and the fish seemed to be against the margin, but sadly right in amongst the debris and snags and taking off the top, but they were not easy to tempt, infact I only landed 1 more before the wind made me start a new edge line at 6m and I had abandoned the silvers for a single meat line over the original 6m area, just feeding a lot heavier.

The switch of lines/new lines helped as I managed to sneak another 4 carp, 2 from the margin and 2 from the heavier fed meat line, then the all out sounded.

I went and weighed a lump that Will had landed, but it was only 11lb less an ounce, he'd only had 3 or 4 carp I think. Peg 21 had 1, maybe 2 and a handful of bits, they both DNW'd. And word was it was hard today.

I packed my kit up and waited for the man with the weigh board. My peg was 1st, and I weighed around 37lb, which turned out ok, well not last anyways. But it seemed that it had not fished as well as it could and nobody did the 100lb mark, I think 70-odd pond won from one of the club's golden pegs. Top silvers was around 19lb (yesterday done loads of good silvers weights we were told---always the kiss of death).

See the PSV blog when it is done for the results.

So it was an enjoyable day, even if the fish were not playing ball.
I would like to thank Steve and the PSV guys for the day and for being welcoming again.
I would like to think that one day I will catch more than I actually have thus far at Landsend.
Also I wish we could at least have a few weeks without much wind, it doesn't seem to have stopped in months.

Next up for me is The River Kenn, next sunday. A venue I have yet to fish, or indeed take a look at. So I may drive up in the week to see.

Take care and tight lines

Lee



No comments:

Post a Comment